Australia remains one of the most loved tourist destinations globally with millions of tourists flocking to its shores every year. With an abundance of unique wildlife, breathtaking scenario and world famous structures such as the Sydney Opera House, you are never short of something to see or do. With the Australian ETA visa you are able to visit Australia for up to 3 months for each visit within a 12 month period, giving you plenty of opportunity to visit and even come back again if you wish.
About the visa, conditions and requirements
Name of visa
ETA (Electronic Travel Authority)
Who can apply?
List of countries that are able to apply – Currently available to citizens of 32 countries.
- Hong Kong (SAR)
- San Marino
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States
- Vatican City
Who is required to get the visa?
All citizens who are planning on visiting Australia for short term tourism or business purposes from the above countries. Children are also required to have their own ETA visa.
There is no government fee associated with this visa.
The ETA visa is valid for 12 months from date of issue or if the Passport expires before this then for the remaining time on the passport.
Length of Stay
You are allowed to stay for up to 3 months with each visit.
Gap between visits
There is no time requirement with this visa between visits, you can visit multiple times within the 12 months.
- Standard processing time 24 hours
- Rush process time 3 hours (additional $30)
- Urgent process time 20 minutes (additional $50)
Must have 6 months validity on your passport from time of entry.
Only New Zealanders are exempt from obtaining a visa for entry to Australia.
Port of Entry
Using the ETA you can enter through any port in Australia, land or sea.
ETA entry conditions
- Visits are for tourism or business purposes only.
- Valid for multiple visits within 12 months from the date of issue.
- Maximum length of each visit is 3 months.
- Your passport must have at least 6 months left before expiry from the date you wish to enter Australia.
- Work is not allowed, you may however undertake business activities such as enquiries, contractual negotiations and attending conferences.
- You must not study for more than 3 months.
- You must be free from tuberculosis.
- You must not have any criminal convictions for which you have been sentenced for a total combined period of 12 months or more, whether or not the sentence(s) were served.